Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default crimping faq

In article ,
Fred wrote:
On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 14:58:33 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Generally forget Maplin for anything serious. For Lucar terminals and
tools I use these people:-

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...ninsblades.php

They do crimp tools too.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...ninscrimps.php

The one I have - it is excellent - is also the most expensive one, at the
top of the page. It produces crimps to factory standard.

Thanks. I haven't bought crimps from Maplin (my cheap ones were the
duratool brand from cpc), it was just that Maplin was the first link I
could find showing that type of crimp with the ends that fold
heart-shaped onto the wire. Is that what "Lucar" is?

Lucar is (or was) the name for the spade connectors found on older cars.
And some electrical stuff. Think it may have something to do with Lucas.

They do use a heart shaped crimp - but so do most other terminals for
flex. Insulated connectors are quite rare in just sort of squashing them
up.

I was looking to link to this web site, which I had seen before but I
just could not remember its name. I think you are right: I had seen
these types of crimp in automotive applications rather than domestic
mains use before.

I have seen them used for mains - but obviously inside a box so they can't
be touched when the device is in use.

So you have their PR3 model. It doesn't look like it is a ratchet
type, is it?

It's a cantilever design. That produces enough force easily to crimp the
connector fully without the pain of a ratchet. I suppose it isn't quite so
foolproof, though. I do quite a bit of car wiring and find it as near
perfect as any tool I have. But expensive if you won't use it much. Some
of their cheaper ones may be OK - I've never had a problem with anything
from them.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet*

Dave Plowman London SW