Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Can dishwasher film be overcome or do I need a new one?

On Oct 29, 1:53*pm, Jay Hanig wrote:
I live in a coastal community on a North Carolina barrier island in a
house I inherited from my father. *I've noticed a film on the silverware
I've run through the dishwasher that is difficult to remove. *Just
rubbing it with a damp towel won't do it but using Bartenders Friend
cleans it up nicely. *Still, I shouldn't have to clean most of the
silverware that's been through the dishwasher.

I've tried running CLR followed by vinegar through it. *I have tried
using Jet Dry along with the Cascade Powder I generally use.

The dishwasher is a Maytag MDB9100AWQ of indeterminate age. *The house
was built in 1983 but the dishwasher has probably been replaced at least
once. *It still runs very quietly and aside from the film problem, I
have no complaints with it.

I'm told our water here is very hard. *I don't have a problem with rust
stains and anything you soap up rinses off very quickly. *So what should
I do? *Am I at the point I need a new dishwasher?

Jay

Having read all the replies and having experienced similar poor
dishwasher performance, the way I "solved" the film problem with my
dishwasher(s).

Before you do anything about your hard water, get a new dishwasher or
hassle with TSP....give this product a try.

http://www.lemishine.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Lemi-Shine-703.../dp/B0047528HM

I buy it at a local gorcery store for about $4 per 12oz.

I think it's basically citric acid. I put regular d/w powder in the
first dispenser & the Lemi-Shine "main wash" dispenser.

No more film on flatware or glassware.

cheers
Bob