Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sparking Pumpkins

On Oct 30, 8:09*am, Art Todesco wrote:
On 10/30/2011 8:08 AM, aemeijers wrote:

On 10/30/2011 7:03 AM, wrote:
I want to have two pumpkins kissing each other, and want sparks
jumping between them. I have an old neon light transformer thats
rated around 25,000 volts. If I connect one wire (from this
transformer) to one pumpkin and the other wire to the other pumpkin,
will sparks jump between them? How far will they jump?

Unless you want the entire pumpkin burning, you'll need to add internal
wiring, and some sort of metal points on facing sides. Like maybe grind
the head of a 16d nail shiny, cover shaft with shrink wrap, and shove
through the face, and connect the ends inside the pumpkins. Set the
pumpkins on some sort of insulating material, like dry wood.

Recommend you put the setup out of the reach of young fingers, lest the
parents hiding in the bushes start calling the cops on their cell
phones. Dunno how far the sparks will jump- been decades since I played
with one of those transformers. Ask over in one of the electronics
groups- those guys know everything.

How about one of those toys that uses a rough wheel to rub against a
piece of flint?
It could probably be motorized easily.- Hide quoted text -

Art's idea is MUCH safer, the neon transformer will kill very readily,
that's what they use in bug zappersa, only on a much smaller/lower
scale. You don't want to have to explain on national tv how you
killed a trick or treater.