Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Load center replacement

On Oct 30, 10:25*am, bob haller wrote:
On Oct 30, 9:36*am, wrote:

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 21:13:47 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Oct 29, 9:32*pm, wrote:
I'm thinking mabee it's time to replace my old fuse panel with a
breaker panel.
*Problem is, the new panels are not even a close match to the old
panel. The existing panel is surface mounted with the main switch/fuse
on the left, with the power feed coming in from the back in the lower
corner. All the "load" wires come in the top. They come out through
the plywood service board and then enter thepanel within inches. This
does not allow much flexibility.

The closest I've found so far is a Schnieder StabLok panel, but I
would need to mount it sideways. No problem with the main breaker as
it would be oriented on up, as required by code. The feed would need
to come in through an elbow through the bottom of the box instead of
the back as the new panel is significantly smaller.
*I can make all this work - but then half of the load breakers are
upside-down. Don't know if that is an issue here in Canada - aparently
it is not allowed in the USA. I guess I could always restrict myself
to half capacity (use a 40 circuit panel as a 20)

The only problem I can forsee is some know-it-all home inspector
seeing the FPE on the panel and demanding a future buyer replace the
dang thing because early FPE StabLok breakers got a REAL bad name in
the USA (rightly or wrongly). We will likely be selling in the next 5
years or so (which is the MAJOR reason I'm even thinking about
replacing the panel in the firstr place.

how many amps is the main? 200 is todays standard

It is 100 and will likely stay that way.

the main cable and meter can are 40+ years old, even if they appear
fine 40 years is a long time

*The meter can is totally separate from the service panel, and the
panel is in *a dry semi-finished area - like new inside and out.

how many circuits does the current main panel support? the higher the
main amp rating the more the number of circuits.

The current main panel supports 2 cartrige blocks for stove and range,
as well as 20 standard "plug" fuses. currently there are 2 spare
circuits in the panel. This is equivalent to a 24 circuoit breaker
panel.

*the StabLok 100 amp load centers are available with 16 to 40 circuits

your far better off replacing the entire service drop, upgrading if
needed the grounding, and installing a new 200 amp main panel/

*It's an underground service

FBE richly deserves the reputation it earned. that panel should go for
metal recycling.

do get the install inspected home inspectors now checvk on that and
proper permitting.

*The good ones do. Most of them up here are half blind and stupid.
And if properly installed, they would not be able t tell it had been
replaced in the last 10 years. However, inspection is not an issue.
Will be required by the insurance company anyways when I switch
insurers - which is another reason I'm considering doing it NOW.
I moved my car insurance from the insurer I've been with for 53 years,
who currently also insure the house. The new insurer wants an
inspection.

or have endless hassles at home sale time- Hide quoted text -

obviously you have ruled out a upgrade to 200 amps.

What your missing is a perspective buyer may anticipate a lifestyle
requiring more than 100 amps.

So the buyer and home inspector have this conversation.

The main panel is new and looks perfect, but the main entrance cable
is a underground line probably dating back to the time the home was
built. that cable may be in poor condition, its underground. and in
any case its limited to 100 amps, just half of the typical new service
today...

the buyer may prefer all sorts of new electrical things and you have
just discouraged a sale.......

if thats what you want thats fine....

ultimately its your wallet.......- Hide quoted text -

I guess the key issue would be who pays for the new
200amp underground service and if it's CL, then how
much will it cost? The rest, from meter to panel is
usually not much.

A reasonable alternative could be to put in a panel that
supports 200 amps now when upgrading. Then later,
if he needs 200 or a future buyer bitches, etc, he could address the
service drop part then.