Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Tape Measures for woodworking

On 10/30/11 7:06 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:

My brother gave me a Komelon 16 footer, self-locking which I like very
much. It has the usual marks at 16", which I understand. It also has
marks at 19+ inches which turns out to be 1/5 of 8'. Not being a
carpenter I don't know why you would want to divide an 8 foot panel into
fifths, unless it has something to do with roofing. Can anyone enlighten
me on this?

Engineered lumber and metric.
Some engineered joists are spaced at 19.2" instead of 16". I'm guessing
it's because they are stronger and also because it's pretty close to
half a meter and engineers work in metric.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--