Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Tape Measures for woodworking

On 10/29/2011 9:43 PM, Roy wrote:
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:02:47 -0500, wrote:

I have two of those, but from day one kept having problems with the hook
slipping off any edge. Basically, both of mine are useless for my
purposes, so they gather dust in a drawer.

AAMOF, I even wrote to Rob about the problem years ago, so sounds they
might have fixed it by now?

I've had these tapes since Ike hit us, so that was just over 3 years ago, if
that helps you compare their age with your tapes. I gave the last of my
originals (5-6 years old now) away right after Ike to one of my neighbors and
ordered this batch.

Mine do have the three grooves. Where DO they differ from the Stanley's,
is that the two rivet heads, on the concentric (bottom) side that holds
the hook on, are visibly thicker than my Stanley's rivets ... the result
is the hook does not sit as far down on the piece being measured,
meaning their hold is not as secure.

A case where more robust is not necessarily better ... perhaps that has
been addressed in later versions. I wasn't going to spend the money to
find out.

Don't get me wrong, the LV's are the perfect size for shop use and I
love the 'right-handedness'. I just got tired of them slipping off the
work piece. Not every time mind you, but just about every time damn time
I was in a situation where I didn't have one to spare and another hand
would have been ideal, the hook would cant upwards throwing the
measurement off close to a 1/16".

I'm glad to see they work for you, I sure wish they did for me ... being
LV you would almost bet, and win, on the consistency of readings from
tape to tape.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010