Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Over a grand to move the electric meter!

On 30/10/2011 16:38, wrote:
Was talking to a mate of mine who is having his electric meter moved
from one room to the next and they've quoted over a grand for the job
- this is British Gas apparently who also do electrics.

So what is involved in extending the incoming main by about three
metres? Three metres of tails and some sort of Henley block I'm
guessing. No complications with the routing, just drill through the
wall.

I'd do this sort of job myself, legal or not, when they monopolise the
work to the extent that a job that involves about forty quid in parts,
if that, becomes a one-grand plus quote.

Made my blood boil and it isn't even my money!

What is the accepted way to extend the incoming main? Henley blocks or
something more substantial?

Not all jobs are as simple as they appear at the outset. I recall, when
I worked for an electricity board, what should have been a simple job of
fitting an extra socket outlet turned into a major job involving the
replacement of an entire incoming sub-main up three floors because it
was in such poor condition.

Colin Bignell