Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default OT? New Zealand trip

On 2011-10-30, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:24:43 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

We expect to be away from home for possibly a month with 1 week in San
Francisco/LA at one end of the trip or other.

SF is nice, not so sure about LA.

LA? A city the size of Belgium, filled with traffic jams, where even the
air
has a suntan. Not my idea of a nice place.

The reason for choosing LA was that it seems from web searches that it is
better connected for direct flights to NZ from the west coast compare to
SF. So we would fly in and out of LA, pick up a car and headout to SF only
returning to LA airport.

Oh, and given the choice between SF and LA I would go for SF every time.
Lovely place, loads of good restaurants (the Stinking Rose if you like
garlic!) and you can walk everywhere, the tram system is fun and the tram
museum a must see where you can see all the inner workings of the cables
which pull the trams.
I agree that LA is better suited to be a hub from NZ - you may even have to
take an internal flight to get easily to SF.
However SF to UK is straightforward.

If I was flying into and out of LA and had a week I would get out of town
fast and go and see Death Valley and Grand Canyon.
Vegas is accessible for those who like that sort of thing.
However if you are going November or February (nice times to see NZ) you may
have problems getting into Yosemite, for instance.
Unless you hire a 4x4 for the ski scene?
We were in the US from late March to early May and a lot of the mountain
areas were still closed due to snow.
We wanted to see Yellowstone but it was still snowed up.
Much of Yosemite also.
We spend much of the latter part of our trip in San Diego which we loved.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder