Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default OT? New Zealand trip

On 2011-10-30, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:24:43 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

We expect to be away from home for possibly a month with 1 week in San
Francisco/LA at one end of the trip or other.

SF is nice, not so sure about LA.

LA? A city the size of Belgium, filled with traffic jams, where even the
air
has a suntan. Not my idea of a nice place.

The reason for choosing LA was that it seems from web searches that it is
better connected for direct flights to NZ from the west coast compare to
SF. So we would fly in and out of LA, pick up a car and headout to SF only
returning to LA airport.

Not so keen on central LA - looked a bit of a pit when we were there.
We flew in and out of LA for our six week RV tour of the West Coast as the
last leg of our world tour.
[London - Singapore - Port Douglas (N. of Cairns) - Sydney (wonderful
place) - Christchurch (after the big one but before the even bigger one) -
driving round NZ and camping - Auckland - Hawaii (Oahu and Big Island) -
LA (six week RV expedition) - London ]
We spent our last few days at Long Beach which is a bit out of town, but a
very relaxing place to stay.
Public transport seemed very good, as well.
So I would suggest that as a potentially better option then central LA if
you are stopping for a week.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]