Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can this yard furniture be saved?

On Oct 29, 10:35*pm, Home Guy wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
Here are pix of (I think) wrought iron yard furniture that I have
allowed to deteriorate for years. Rusted to hell.

I really like the furniture, esp. the table has a lovely glass top
that I put in. *So I would like to rehab. them.

But is this feasible as a DIY job? *In terms of time and effort?

Lots of people would find that set some-what desirable, given it's
design and construction. *It helps that you have a glass table-top that
appears to be intact.

Sand blasting is by far the most effective way to prepare them for a new
coat of paint. *I would just crack open your local phone book and look
under sand blasting.

After sand blasting, look into getting them powder-coated. *It's a
coating that tough as hell and will last several lifetimes. *In fact, a
powder-coating place would probably sand blast them for you.

If anybody thinks it's worth a try, what would you use to remove
the rust and prep for repainting? *I have heard good and bad
about Naval Jelly. *Is there a "professional" product that would
do a better job?

TIA for any help.

If you are bent on doing this yourself, then muriatic acid (available by
the gallon for about $10 at pool supply stores and even Home Despot)
will take the rust off pretty quickly, but it's nasty to work with
depending on how much (or how little) you dillute it with water. *This
is also hydrochloric acid. *

Applying it in this case is tricky. *Probably take an old bed-sheet
soaked in the acid and cover the items and tuck it into the nooks and
crevices. *After an hour or two the rust can either be rinsed off or a
little light work with a scrub brush, then re-apply the sheet and leave
it for another hour. *This will also take off most of the old paint.

Rinse it off well with water, and try to get it dry as soon as possible
after rinsing because it will try to rust a little if just allowed to
dry on it's own. *Do it on a warm sunny day if possible. *And don't do
it on your driveway or grass (if you value them that is). *The acid will
"clean" your concrete driveway where-ever it lands.

Some people will say that the acid will alter or change the surface of
the metal (I think the term is hydrogen embrittlement) but I wouldn't
worry about it in your case. *This is more critical for other types of
metal surfaces (like the sheet metal of a car).

You can use a leaf blower to speed up the drying process.