Posted to rec.woodworking

Default "Rubbing Out"

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 16:14:00 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell
wrote:

On Oct 24, 11:01*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Yeah, if it's only poly, it doesn't matter whether or not the finish
is even. *With Scotchbrite, it -never- is. *Good steel wool, such as
Liberon, is the only way to ensure an even scratch pattern. *I love
Scotchbrite and buy it by the box, but this is one place I never use
it. *One of the mags did a test and I confirmed it myself, then
stopped using Scotchbrite for finishes, unless it's for complete
_removal_ of a finish.

Is the Liberon wool any better than the Rhodes brand
0000 sold by HD? Scratch "pattern" on 30 day cured
nitro looked more like it was made by 00. I ended up
recoating and hitting with white Scotchbrite, then
swirl remover.

The difference between the Chiwanese 0000 and Liberon's is night and
day. The Chiwanese looks like 0, comparatively. I still have a
couple bags of old Chiwanese, so I haven't shopped lately for steel
wool. I'd pretty much kept using Liberon's for good work, and
Chiwanese for rust removal, etc. I haven't seen the Rhodes brand.

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.