Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Can dishwasher film be overcome or do I need a new one?

On 10/29/2011 4:53 PM, Jay Hanig wrote:
I live in a coastal community on a North Carolina barrier island in a
house I inherited from my father. I've noticed a film on the silverware
I've run through the dishwasher that is difficult to remove. Just
rubbing it with a damp towel won't do it but using Bartenders Friend
cleans it up nicely. Still, I shouldn't have to clean most of the
silverware that's been through the dishwasher.

I've tried running CLR followed by vinegar through it. I have tried
using Jet Dry along with the Cascade Powder I generally use.

The dishwasher is a Maytag MDB9100AWQ of indeterminate age. The house
was built in 1983 but the dishwasher has probably been replaced at least
once. It still runs very quietly and aside from the film problem, I have
no complaints with it.

I'm told our water here is very hard. I don't have a problem with rust
stains and anything you soap up rinses off very quickly. So what should
I do? Am I at the point I need a new dishwasher?

Jay

I though water in an area like that would be soft.
Whatever, have it tested.
Like others, I suspect detergent may be at fault.