Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Can dishwasher film be overcome or do I need a new one?

On Oct 29, 4:53*pm, Jay Hanig wrote:
I live in a coastal community on a North Carolina barrier island in a
house I inherited from my father. *I've noticed a film on the silverware
I've run through the dishwasher that is difficult to remove. *Just
rubbing it with a damp towel won't do it but using Bartenders Friend
cleans it up nicely. *Still, I shouldn't have to clean most of the
silverware that's been through the dishwasher.

I've tried running CLR followed by vinegar through it. *I have tried
using Jet Dry along with the Cascade Powder I generally use.

The dishwasher is a Maytag MDB9100AWQ of indeterminate age. *The house
was built in 1983 but the dishwasher has probably been replaced at least
once. *It still runs very quietly and aside from the film problem, I
have no complaints with it.

I'm told our water here is very hard. *I don't have a problem with rust
stains and anything you soap up rinses off very quickly. *So what should
I do? *Am I at the point I need a new dishwasher?

Jay

@Jay:

Sounds like you need a water softener...

That "film" building up on your silverware is whatever mineral that is
causing
the hardness of your water...

~~ Evan