Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames Carl Ijames is offline

Default What causes this?

You could also try mechanical stirring (try a paint mixer in a drill just to
see if it helps), or maybe bubbling with compressed air (mixes ok but
evaporates lots of your solution). Helps keep surfaces uniform when
electropolishing stainless steel, and that's basically what you are doing.
Do you use just vinegar or do you add some table salt for better
conductivity? What strength vinegar? Very nice pieces, BTW.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

On 28 Oct 2011 01:42:54 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2011-10-27, wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...in/photostream

Previously when I saw pits like these I thought it was caused by pin
holes in the resist. There was some discussion about its here. I
firmly believed that it was the hydrogen bubbles cavitating causing
this. However, in this case there is *no* resist!

Are those truly pits, or are they projections? I could imagine
air bubbles (or hydrogen) forming on the surface which would prevent as
much access from the etchant.

Either tapping the edge every so often, or applying ultrasonics
from a cleaner might break them up fairly quickly.

Good Luck,
DoN.

I think DoN has the answer.

Gunner