Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default OT? New Zealand trip

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
SWMBO & I are planning a trip to NZ sometime next year and in an attempt
to balance out her choice of scenic locations to visit, I'd welcome
suggestions of 'must see' locations for an engineer/scientist/woodbutcher
like myself and like most readers of this NG.

Suggestions please (polite or at least humourous naturally!)

Weblinks to events too would be good. visit is possible next November or
just maybe sooner - next February.

How long do you plan to stay?
Any idea of the split between N & S island?
We were there for four and a half months over last UK winter, so saw quite a
lot.

Fascinating place on the Otago Plain, S. Island (people called Hates IIRC)
where they are preserving an engineering works where loads of cool stuff was
invented, and which you still see in use. e.g. wire strainer for wire
fencing.

Some nice railways - one out of Dunedin up into the central uplands, one at
Kawakawa up in the Bay of Islands.

Barry Bricknell artist's railway in Coromandel Town is a must see - loads of
engineering there!

HokiTikli on S. Island (west) for stone and wood carving. Also Rotorua.

For the scenincs there is Russel in Bay of Islands, Golden Bay at the top of
S.Island, Akaroa near Christchurch. We did an overnight trip on Doubtful
Sound instead of Milford Sound - wedding anniversary and a wonderful place
:-)

If you like wine, set aside a day for a wine tasting tour at the Marlborough
vineyards around Blenheim. Blenheim itself is a pit but the wineries are
superb.

Just a quick note - with a bit more time no doubt the memories will flow.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder