Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tape Measures for woodworking

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:57:36 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 10/27/2011 7:07 PM, JayPique wrote:
I've owned quite a few different tape measures, but haven't found what
I deem to be "the one" for woodworking. My favorite thus far seems to
be the Stanley 33-116. I love the size of it, which is probably why I
keep buying them. If I could change it though, I would get rid of the
32nd marks over the first 12 inches of the tape. Maybe it's my eyes,
but those little lines just all sort of blur together. And who is
going to use a tape measure at all if they are shooting for 64th of an
inch accuracy? The only other thing that I might do is put in the
eighth-inch labels. But overall, it's my favorite. So far...

The most important characteristic of any tape measure for me:
One that perfectly matches my table saw fence tape!

In this case:

A 12' Stanley 33-212.

Small, fits nicely in the apron; the hook is accurate and doesn't slip;
consistent/same reading accuracy from one tape measure to another;
therefore I keep four on hand all the time - one in the truck, one in
the tool bag, one in the shop apron, one in the shop drawer.

It's like measuring with the same tape measure, time after time. Can't
get any better than that.

YMMV ...

You REALLY need to see and use the "acuratape" Lighted magnified
"vernier". A bit of a rare item in Canada in that it is "imperial
only" Has a pencil clip for accurate marking - as well as a
retractable marking "pin". Also has magnetic tab.

see:
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...G/_/R-I1048330