Posted to alt.home.repair
jeff_wisnia[_4_] jeff_wisnia[_4_] is offline

Default New Home Depot store security

bob haller wrote:

On Oct 28, 3:06 am, harry wrote:

On Oct 28, 3:43 am, bob haller wrote:

New Home Depot store security
I went to home depot today. searching for a employee to get some wire
cut, couldnt find anyone close by electrical.

did find the store full of a new security system. It features cameras
and tv monitors, with flashing lights, beeping constantly, and
messages you are bering recorded.

Now I dont mind security cameras or even audio recordings but dont
care to see my picture repeatedly, they literally have hundreds of
cameras with monitors all thru the store.

Unable to find help I stopped at the registers to give the store
manager my opinion of their new security system. a guy did come I
asked are you a manager? well no can i help? no i want to speak to the
store manager, no he isnt available......

Well I went on a tirade of their new system, and left suggesting they
take a photo of me a now lost customer..

I am all for stopping retail theft but this is way too annoying and
the beeping drove me nuts

I called home depot complaint line, they took my info but no one
called me back.

has anyone else seen anything so intrusiv

You obviously live in a rough area :-)- Hide quoted text -

the store isnt in a rough area, low overall crime rate even for
pittsburgh zip 15237.

home depot recently stopped a major theft problem.

idiots would take a cart, load it up with high value stuff, then
return it at customer service using fake IDs. net take 70 grand. the
thieves would be issued gift cards, the thief would sell them on
craigslist for a discount..

i guess home depot wants to discourage copy cat thieves........

like i said i dont mind video and even audio recordings, but refuse to
see me on every camera in the store.

today i will check out lowes, hopefully they havent done the same
thing.

if this sticks it will be in every store nationwide

I'm shocked, shocked that a big box store would take back merchandise
without a sales receipt nowadays. A small place where the owner knew the
customer and remembered what they bought maybe, but not a big one.

Years ago I wondered about how many sharpies bought an item, brought it
home and then came back a couple of days later, took an identical item
off the shelf and then "returned it" using the original sales receipt.

That got them two items for the price of one. I asked a friend who was
GM of a department store whether he was aware of that happening and he
blanched and said he'd never thought about it, and then told me he knew
that most of the thefts from his store were committed by dishonest
employees.

I remember when women employees in department stores who wanted to carry
a handback to work were required to use transparent plastic ones to
discourage shoplifting by them.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia