Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default New Home Depot store security

On Oct 28, 9:21*am, SMS wrote:
On 10/27/2011 11:56 PM, Larry Fishel wrote:

On Oct 27, 10:43 pm, bob *wrote:

did find the store full of a new security system. It features cameras
and tv monitors, with flashing lights, beeping constantly, and
messages you are bering recorded.

To be fair, it may very well be that way because of all the other
customers who went on tirades because they were taped without their
knowledge...if not because they got sued by a thief for violating his
privacy...

The stores love the video surveillance because actually witnessing
someone stealing is the only thing that holds up in court (and it never
goes to court once the thief sees the video footage).

http://www.crimedoctor.com/shoplifting3.htm. Point 4 is very
important. I worked at a department store as a teenager and a security
guard had been watching someone in a fitting room stealing clothing, but
the shoplifter must have suspected he was being watched and ditched the
merchandise. He was apprehended in the parking lot and had no stolen
merchandise on him (never think you're not being watched in the fitting
room, and in this case it was a female security guard watching the men's
fitting rooms).

At least in some states (California included) you can't detain someone
unless you have actual evidence of a theft. That's why those "exit
checks" that some stores use are merely for intimidation, since if you
don't submit they can't do anything (other than Costco which also won't
stop you, but they will yank your membership and yes they can figure out
who you are).

At Whole Foods they won't prosecute you, they show you the video and
give you the option of being banned from the store for life or being
arrested. Don't sample anything from the food bar, they are watching!

I could care less that they video me. what I object too are 100s of
cameras everywhere beeping loudly and flashing, but what puts it over
the edge is the 100 of mini monotors showing my picture.

i dont like how i look ( old ) and avoid mirrors too......

but this store is insane