Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Asus N7600GS (red dots and lines)

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:45:08 -0700 (PDT), Jack00
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I got this graphics card in my PC and the picture on the monitor
displays red dots and lines and sometimes goes away but returns
again. I had to disable the driver for this card as Windows XP wont
boot in normal mode ie shows a black screen but in safe mode XP boots
but with red spots and lines and the picture goes purple if you try to
browse on the internet. Is there any tests I can do with a
multimeter? Or maybe get hold of a circuit diagram?

Those symptoms are consistent with a fault in the card's RAM. By
switching to a different driver, you are accessing difference areas of
memory. Also, if you select a lower refresh rate, this may mitigate
any timing issue.

Did you check the fan and capacitors on the card?

- Franc Zabkar