Posted to alt.home.repair
frank1492 frank1492 is offline

Default Fiberglass Repair of Old Iron Soilpipe

Hi-
It is true that the entire soil pipe that resides outside the
house has many blisters to the point where it runs inside through
cinder blocks. The part inside the house looks nowhere near as bad,
and the house has a "Cape Cod cellar" (dirt) anyway.
The part outside the house is subject to the weather as it is only
surrounded by a lattice and the back steps..
We are only talking about 5' or so from the toilet to the point of
entry. I did anticipate that this would start to leak- maybe soon- so
I have already fiberglassed most of it as a precaution. I do not think
I will hear from this again in my lifetime...I'm 68...
I will address the hole tomorrow (again.) If I fail to get a good
seal assuming there is no longer water dripping and using underwater
epoxy just in case followed by fiberglass, I will revert to the Fernco
approach.
Thanks all again.
Frank

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 21:22:04 -0400, frank1492
wrote:

Hi-
I have just finished coating an old iron soil pipe with fiberglass
cloth. The pipe was badly blistered and I felt it would start to leak
in several places soon.
A problem has occurred because in one spot it had already started
to leak. Of course the fiberglass would not set there. The toilet was
of course not being used when the fiberglass was applied, but even
though the ball valve seems to seal perfectly, there always seems to
be a little "weeping" that allows a trickle to get into the soil pipe.
I know I may have to drain the toilet completely, but that brings me
to my question: Is it possible to seal a wet hole from the outside
with one of the wetseal putties, such as JB Waterweld? Has anybody
tried in a similar application to mine? Even with no water pressure I
can't imagine an epoxy that will stick to a wet surface.
It would be nice not to have to drain the toilet. Help much
appreciated!
Frank