Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

Robert Green wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
stuff snipped

Well, don't lose the "chipped" key. Instead, have one or more
non-chipped duplicates made for $2 each. Take the original chipped
key and glue it under the dash or somewhere close so the anti-theft
mechanism can pick up the RFID signal when you attempt to start the
car with a non-chipped key.

Hey, it only costs two bucks to TRY it.

Why would I disable a system that saved my van from being joy-riden,
smashed up or stripped by the three punks that tried hard to steal
it? They stopped only when my neighbor and I came out and scared
them away. I still hear my wife reminding me "you can't shoot kids
in the back for NOT stealing your car." (-:

"I shouted HALT! One of them turned in my direction with what I believed was
a weapon. In fear of my life, I discharged my weapon."

"Yeah, how'd it hit him in the back?"

"Just lucky, I guess."

As to why you'd disable a system, so doing might save you several hundred
dollars to have a locksmith come to your disabled car, on a dark, rainy
night, in a disreputable part of town, to let you in. In the alternative,
call a wrecker and have your car towed to your destination while you ride
safe and warm with the wrecker. You can then deal with the problem at your
convenience.

I could have at least taken out one of them that night. The
immobilizer turned a potential $25K loss into a thousand dollar
problem. Disabling that system would be like de-barking a dog that
had just scared away burglars. Wouldn't be prudent.

Good point. The proposed solutions aren't for everyone. You have to consider
whether living in a slum where you are constantly plagued with car thieves
and burglars outweighs the cost and aggravation of a lost key.

MY spare key is bolted behind the license plate (shhh! don't tell anyone).