Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Robert Green wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message news:4ea80250$0$28458

stuff snipped

When I got extra chip keys when I got my F350 I paid $8/ea cut by the
dealer and I did the programming.

What do you program a key with? I have a lot of slots on my PC, but no

car
keyholes. (-:

I'd prefer to pay $8 instead of $80, obviously, but it depends on what

programmer costs. What's the deal?

Thanks for your input!

--
Bobby G.

The programming procedure has you inserting various current and new
keys, turning them on / off, tapping the brake and standing on your head
You need two current active keys to perform the process, but it
doesn't require any special tools.

Thanks! Where does one acquire the blanks? I don't see any reason for
TruValue to sell me a blank chipped key when they could make much more by
insisting on programming it themselves. I wonder if two keys are required
simply to make it harder for a parking valet to dupe your key inside your
own car since they typically have access to only one key at a time?

--
Bobby G.