Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

On 10/25/2011 6:07 PM, Reed wrote:
On 10/25/11 3:31 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In ,
"Stormin wrote:

Some locksmiths, mostly in cities, have that capability. I'd
open the yellow pages, call several locksmiths in the city
(cities) near you.

But don't you need at least one active key to program it from?

It is a common mis-understanding that what gets "programmed" is the key.
Wrong. The car's computer is programmed to accept that specific new key
(or keys) individual PIN code, which any new key is provided with in
it's packaging.

I think that applies for sure for "standard" replacement keys.

There are key chip programmers that can clone a key. The local ACE has
one right at the CS desk.

Same for remote controls, which is why the used ones people buy on eBay
etc (and don't get a code) end up being paperweights.

When I worked at a dealer, we had many cases of people losing their last
key, and car had to be towed to nearest dealership for programming a new
key.

Also re these new remote keys, we did have a case where guy went to
airport, got out of car, it kept running til it ran out of gas while he
was gone.