Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

On 10/26/2011 10:32 AM, Robert Green wrote:
"Pete wrote in message news:4ea802d9$0$28453

stuff snipped

On some Fords at least you get something like 8 active keys max by
default, but the dealer or someone else with the VCM/IDS laptop can set
the PCM to unlimited mode which is intended for fleet use.

That makes sense. I also realized that if you had your key off to a valet
parker for more than an hour or two that THEY could easily clone the key,
toss the car looking for an address and pick up your car a few weeks later,
easy as pie.

Yesterday, my dentist gave my wife's phone number to some guy who alleged
she banged into her car in the parking lot and didn't leave a note. They
didn't step outside to look at the "alleged" damage, they didn't say "call
the cops and we'll give it to them, not you" or even "We'll call her and ask
her to call you." She's fuming mad and so am I. You'd think that even a
phone number would be privileged information under the Federal medical
privacy laws.

My wife, who's been going to the same dentist for 25 years is more steamed
that the dentist/staff would believe she's a "hit and run" artist. I'm
tempted to call my lawyer buddy and ask if they can give out a patient's
phone number to anyone, even someone they know (we haven't established who
this person is or if someone on the staff knew them).

Most peculiar and really upsetting to my wife who thinks that the dental
office should now pay to have her phone number changed (we still keep a
landline each). This is a publicly listed land line, too, so now this
cretin has our address. Time to clean and oil the Glock.

On other front in the war on privacy, I bought a pair of shoes yesterday at
Payless and the clerk asked for my phone number, to which I just said "No"
so he just took my cash and rang me up. At the bottom of the receipt its
says: "Good news, Payless has settled the text messaging class action
lawsuit. If you received a text message from us . . . you may be eligible
for a $25 credit."

What's going ON with this world? The right to privacy is slowly but surely
being erased.

I heard about that but I am pretty sure it doesn't exist.

Got an email from Verizon Wireless last week. "Dear xxxxxx, WE VALUE
YOUR PRIVACY, so we are informing you that we record all URLs you visit,
all searches you make and the results of those searches and the location
of your device.

We are allowing you to OPT OUT of the use of this information to build
reports."

Nice way to show how they value my privacy. What honest company records
all activities of their paying customers? What honest company uses opt out?

I called and the "executive assistant" person couldn't understand why
anyone would be offended. Then another person called back to let me know
that "at&t" does it too...

--
Bobby G.