Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

On 10/25/2011 6:13 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Why not? You always have to design in a method just for such events. I
have only seen it done once and the dealer had to contact the
manufacturer for some sort of hash that they entered via their
diagnostic unit.

I kept the number that was on the keys when I got it. Non-chipped, I
just read the numbers to the dealer and they made a new key. I wonder if
the numbers are all I need with a chipped key.

No, but the dealer can make "non chipped" keys without you furnishing
the number (assuming no one has changed the cylinders to a different keying)