Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

Robert Green wrote:
A question for the locksmiths he

Would a locksmith be able to get me started if I somehow lost the RF
chipped key that starts my car? This is a 2002 Chrysler minivan with
a device in the steering column called an "immobilser" (and spelled
that way, too) that will turn the starter but not engage the engine
unless the chipped key is near the steering column. Do they have the
tools to re-create that kind of key on-site or what? I know
locksmiths can duplicate the key, but they have the original to start
with.

I want to figure out if it's worth buying and hiding a spare key for
inside the van somewhere (far enough away not to activate the
immobilizer).

Well, don't lose the "chipped" key. Instead, have one or more non-chipped
duplicates made for $2 each. Take the original chipped key and glue it under
the dash or somewhere close so the anti-theft mechanism can pick up the RFID
signal when you attempt to start the car with a non-chipped key.

Hey, it only costs two bucks to TRY it.