Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Russ Stanton Russ Stanton is offline

Default more newbie observations

Never heard of using wax paper but have heard of use kraft paper i.e grocery
bags between the bowl blank and waste block.

Russ
"Vic Baron" wrote in message

"Ralph E Lindberg" wrote in message
In article ,
Bill wrote:

launching a 90 pound bowl blank into the fluorescent light over your
head and then hunkering down in the shower of glass while wondering if
the bounding bowl will exit the building stage left or bounce up and
down on your body is an even better learning experience. I learned a
LOT from that and there is still a dent in the 1X6 roofing board to
remind me.

I have a fairly tall shop (14 ft). I once launched a platter and had
enough time to wonder where it had gone, when it came back down and
bounced off the ways

Are these due to something breaking or something first coming loose from
the chuck?

I read about gluing a base to a blank with wax paper. Seems to be the glue
bond could pop if you get a serious catch, no?

Vic