Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_3_] Gerald Ross[_3_] is offline

Default how to add some color to a bowl?

jtpryan wrote:
I just made a bowl from bloodwood and maple. I took a piece of maple and glued it to the block of bloodwood and then turned it, giving the bowl a maple lip.

While this worked fine and Maple is (relatively) cheap, to do it with more expensive woods seems like a waste. For example I have a lot of black cherry from a tree I felled and thought it would be nice to make a bowl with a black or dark brown lip, like walnut or ebony. But I can't see taking a piece of ebony and basically wasting 90% of it.

So, my thought was how could I cut a groove around the outside and fill it with a nice contrasting color to jazz it up a bit? Does anybody have a technique for this?

Jim

I have some stuff (inlace?) that comes in a kit with colored granules,
and two liquids that you mix all together and smear into the groove.
Not much luck with it. One bowl was brought back with a large chunk
of the inlay which had fallen out.

My usual filler for voids and knot holes is 5 min. epoxy with a drop
of liquid black dye and mixed with turquoise chips and pieces of
brass. It sands out looking good and I have never had any to fall out.

If you do either of these in a groove it would be a good idea to make
the groove wider at the bottom to discourage a piece popping out.

--
Gerald Ross

Ask me about my vow of silence.