Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Nichols Robert Nichols is offline

Default Generator electric question

On 10/26/2011 08:36 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I guess you didn't know? 220 VAC motors typically do not
have a neutral connection.

Since in a 220 VAC motor, the two 120 VAC legs are in
series, the current (amperage) is the same. Doesn't add to
make a higher number.

Care to point out where I said there was any neutral connection to
the motor? If there are some 120V loads on the leg with the
tripped breaker (which is quite likely, since that's the breaker
that tripped), there is a path from that side of the motor
_through_those_loads_ to the neutral conductor. Now you have a
voltage divider from the still hot 120V line, through the motor,
and the parallel combination of those 120V loads. The motor will
see a portion of the 120V, and those other loads will see the
rest. (Yes, I know the voltages will be partly out of phase and
won't add arithmetically. Trying to keep it simple here.)