Posted to alt.home.repair
BobR BobR is offline

Default OT Wall street occupation. (residential thermostats)

On Oct 26, 6:52*am, "
wrote:
On Oct 25, 2:42*pm, harry wrote:

On Oct 25, 7:03*pm, BobR wrote:

On Oct 25, 9:10*am, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
After installing heating and AC systems for six years, I can
only remember seeing one thermostat per heating or cooling
device. Usually one for both heating, or cooling.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

On Oct 25, 2:02 am, harry wrote:

I mean that each room needs a thermostat to work properly.
Even then
it needs to be carefully sited. A single thermostat per
house will
never be much good.- Hide quoted text -

You know about as much about houses as you do politics
and economics. *I have lived in many houses where one
thermostat
worked perfectly fine. *I'll bet lots of others here have
had
similar experiences. *In fact, the standard here for the
majority of homes is one thermostat per heating SYSTEM.
That's what's done in most new construction as well.

In most instances one thermostat is enough. *In my previous residence
there were two, one for the upstairs system and one for the
downstairs. *Each controlled a different central heating/cooling
unit. *The system was well balanced and the result was much lower
heating and cooling bills. *We added the second unit when we added on
the second floor almost doubling the square footage. * During the day,
when 99% of the activity was down stairs the upstairs unit was set for
higher cooling temps while the downstairs was set for cooler. *At
night the reverse was set. *(We used cooling far more than heating so
in the winter time the reverse was used.) *Our heating and cooling
costs actually went down after doing the add on to the house. *More
efficient units, better insulation, and a well balanced system.

The only time I have ever seen thermostats in individual rooms was
when room units were used instead of central units.- Hide quoted text -

That's because you are so primitive.
Gas is the "normal" fuel over here.
No one uses heated air over here. Far too inefficient.

Tell that to the 95% efficient forced air furnace in
my house. *Forced air furnaces with efficiencies from
90 to 95% are reasonably priced and have been widely
available from all manufacturers for years now. *They
are in the same efficiency range as boilers.

Again, why do you make a fool of yourself about things
you know nothing about?

*Central hot
water generators/boilers are used and each room is heated by
thermostatically controlled water filled radiators or, in the latest
arrangements, underfloor heating (pipes set in the concrete floors)
The boilers are all condensing and efficiencies of 90% plus. Some
claim over 100% *gross efficiency when used with underfloor heating.

How do you get over 100% efficiency? *Sounds like some harry
physics.

I wondered that too but then I saw the "Some CLAIM over 100%" and know
that claims and reality often vary greatly.