Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default gluing glass to neoprene?

jim beam wrote in :

On 10/25/2011 07:32 PM, Ron wrote:
micky wrote:

First, they all flex some, amazingly since they are glass***. I
stsood the window in a garbage can and whacked it about 10 times, each
time harder, until finally I used a hammer iirc and wacked it really
hard and it finally borke. Like the other two, all the pieces
separated. I don't think they were even very sharp, some how.

It's tempered glass and it's 7 times stronger than non-tempered glass.

it's tempered glass because in a collision,it breaks up into little pieces
instead of dangerous big shards that will cut you.

ever seen the little safety hammers by bus and train windows? they
weigh less than 1lb, but will smash tempered glass with ease because
they have a hardened point that will initiate cracking, and with
tempered glass, that crack instantly progresses into the thousands of
small pieces that the glass then becomes.

if you have to smash tempered glass, get a piece of broken spark plug
insulator, place that on the glass sharp side down, then strike that
with a hammer. works every time.

a spark plug is what thieves use for their smash-n-grabs.
or a spring-loaded centerpunch.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik