Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default gluing glass to neoprene?

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 21:35:22 -0700, jim beam wrote:

On 10/25/2011 08:34 PM, Ron wrote:

Tempered glass will break easily if you
tap it on the edge...especially the corner.

edge effects. glass surfaces are flawed. flaws can propagate into
cracks. tempered glass works by using tensile stress within the core to
compress surface flaws so they don't easily progress into cracks. but
you can't compress an edge because one of your three dimensions is
missing. on a corner, you're pretty much removing two of your three
dimensions. so, no compression means easy crack propagation.

So I gather, prior to getting the tape I need, if I continue to let
my window go thump when the top edge of the window passes the top rear
edge of the rear seat, I have a greater risk than normal, a pretty
high risk, of the window breaking. ??

When the Lebaron separated from the curtain, it was at the bottom of
the window and the top went down and up as usual. In fact, after
trying 2 or 3 times, I eventually realized I didn't even have to fix
it, because the rain ran down the window, into the vinyl lower boot,
and out the drains.

And I believe those hammers
were phased out by spring loaded center punches.

often, yes. harder to get wrong if an operator is panicking.