Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default gluing glass to neoprene?

On 10/25/2011 9:09 PM, micky wrote:
On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 23:23:44 -0400, wrote:

micky wrote:
On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 19:16:18 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Oct 25, 9:22 pm, wrote:

I'll call more when the t ime comes. Since she was on the phone
already, I just wanted to be reassured t hat 100 dollars for tape is
still a good deal. (and tonight I found only 36 yards instead of 72.

I figure if a rear window starts to fail at 11 years, than 36 yards at
one yard per car will last me 393 years.

That's IF the 3M tape will work.

That's right. If it doesn't work, it will last me even longer.

You would think if there was a way to
repair the glass on these tops when they fail that the top/upholstery
shops would repair them. EVERY person that I spoke to told me the same
thing, "the glass and top is laminated together when they are made, and
we have no way to do that".

Shops don't want to do a job that might fail soon, because even if you
warn customers, a lot of them will complain. They prefer to do the
job the way they know will work.

When the pipe broke off from my cat. converter, every muffler shop I
went to in my n'hood wanted to install a new cat. No one would weld
the pipe back on. So I went half way to t he center of town, to a
lower middle class n'hood, or upper lower class. (It's hard to tell
because the commercial street looks a bit run down, but the street
with the houses a block away looks nice.) and the first muffler shop I
went to was happy to weld it for me, put two beads all around the
pipe, and charged me iirc 30 dollars. I gave him 40. His repair
lasted for years, until I got rid of the car for other reasons.

So that doesn't mean this tape will work, but that shops don't want to
do it doesn't mean it won't.

There is at least one company now that is
making tops and giving a lifetime warranty on the glass coming loose. It
is a company called UltraMaxx http://www.gahh.com/ultramaxx.php.

I'll bear this brand in mind, in case I need a window. (I had a back
up plan in mind if this tape doesn't work on my car (maybe the window
is taller and heavier than for a Corvette) but now that I find the
window bumps into the rear seat back, my back up plan isn't as likely
to work.

BTW, it says that with glass windows, sewing was out of the question.
At the start, sure, but by now, can't they make a window with a row of
holes around the perimeter?. Then sew the canvas on. That would take
the strain and some lightwieght glue could glue some fabric over the
stitches.

if it was tempered (and a previous post said it was), holes would be a
stress point and would shatter pretty easily during normal service if
anything hit it around that edge. you'd need to have rubber inserts on
the holes to prevent that.