Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default how to add some color to a bowl?

On 10/26/2011 07:08 AM, jtpryan wrote:
Thanks. Nice work by the way.

So, with the segmented thing. Let me see if I understand the process I could use.

Cut the blank in a circle on the band saw
Mount it to a face plate and turn the outside and a tenon or recess in the bottom
Make the "segments" out of the expensive stuff
Glue them to each other and the top of the blank
Mount the blank to the chuck and then hollow it out and finish the edge.

Does that sound right?

See http://www.turnedwood.com/ - Kevin Neeley has some great examples of
segmented turning, as well as great pictorial tutorials on making them
(see http://www.turnedwood.com/FrameMiterBowl.html for instance).

Basic segmented vessels are pretty straight forward once you see the
process...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller