Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default more newbie observations

On 10/25/2011 10:54 PM, Mac Davis wrote:
On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 08:13:13 -0800, Kevin
wrote:

On 10/24/2011 10:29 PM, Mac Davis wrote:
On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:30:48 -0800, Kevin
wrote:

I've been using the Bealle system for about 10 years, Kevin..
I'm on my 2nd set of wheels and figure that I've saved many hundreds
of dollars on finishes during that time..

I do use a coat or three of Danish Oil on soft woods before buffing,
but other than that, all my work is natural/buffed and folks seem very
happy with them..

Like most of us, I evolved through friction polish, sanding sealer,
etc., before getting talked into buffing.. Wouldn't do anything else,
now..

I've always been curious how a buffed bowl holds up. Does it still have
it's luster after 5 years?

...Kevin

Unless they've been using soapy water to clean the piece, a brisk rub
with a flannel cloth brings the glow back..
I've been carrying an ironwood pen for years and when it gets dull I
just wipe in with a rag and it's good to go..

In extreme cases, I'll rebuff the piece with the wax wheel..

But what about something like maple, or walnut. Ironwood is so dense it
almost takes a shine just looking at it. I tell my customers not to
immerse the bowls, but if they wipe a salad bowl out w/a damp cloth then
dry it what kind of effect will that have?

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska