Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Tub with aqueous degreaser solution

On Oct 25, 8:54*pm, Ignoramus10092 ignoramus10...@NOSPAM.
10092.invalid wrote:
I have a plastic tub and I wonder if I can fill it with an aqueous
degreaser solution, like Simple Green, and keep it there more or less
indefinitely. I would use that for parts washing. I just cannot
reconcile myself with buying flammable, expensive and hazardous
petroleum based solvent. I want something cheaper, greener, and
safer. So... Will a tub filled with simple green solution, work OK to
degrease stuff? Say, leave stuff overnight in it? If this works, I
would just sell off my parts washer designed for petroleum.

Most of the water-based degreasers have lye in them, as others have
said, not for aluminum and light alloys. The lye works well on animal
and vegatable fats, turns them into soap that can be rinsed off. Not
so hot on mechanical greases that already have a soap base plus
petroleum oils and other non-organic ingredients. Just depends on
what you're cleaning. Greasy kitchen hoods, grills and fans, probably
Simple Green will work. Wheel bearings and greasy gears, not so hot.
That's why petroleum solvents are still used.

Stan