Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

"RickH" wrote in message
On Oct 25, 7:24 am, "Robert Green" wrote:
A question for the locksmiths he

Would a locksmith be able to get me started if I somehow lost the RF

chipped
key that starts my car? This is a 2002 Chrysler minivan with a device in
the steering column called an "immobilser" (and spelled that way, too)

that
will turn the starter but not engage the engine unless the chipped key is
near the steering column. Do they have the tools to re-create that kind of
key on-site or what? I know locksmiths can duplicate the key, but they

have
the original to start with.

I want to figure out if it's worth buying and hiding a spare key for

inside
the van somewhere (far enough away not to activate the immobilizer).

TIA,

--
Bobby G.

I carry a spare un-chipped key in my wallet that will get me into the
car. To start it I have a spare chipped key well hidden inside the
car. Ace hardware will make a chip key for around $75 (which is a
bargain over the dealer). Carrying a spare chiped key in the wallet
hurts my ass because they are so thick.

Sounds like a plan. I've always carried a wallet spare but those huge RF
heads can sit you so off center it throws your back out of whack. The
hidden key with a bunch of non-chipped entry keys in various places with
maybe even the code, if the TruValue guy will give it to me.

--
Bobby G.