Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

"George" wrote in message
On 10/25/2011 4:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 25, 3:31 pm, Kurt wrote:
In ,
"Stormin wrote:

Some locksmiths, mostly in cities, have that capability. I'd
open the yellow pages, call several locksmiths in the city
(cities) near you.

But don't you need at least one active key to program it from?

Just a guess:

Hook the programmer up to the car's computer and download the code
required to program the key.

If the original key was required, then I doubt *anyone*, including the
dealer, would be able to duplicate the key.

Why not? You always have to design in a method just for such events. I
have only seen it done once and the dealer had to contact the
manufacturer for some sort of hash that they entered via their
diagnostic unit.

When the car's steering wheel lock was popped, the dealer ended up having to
give me a new chip - the old keys opened the door but wouldn't start the
car.

--
Bobby G.