Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default What happens if you ever lose a "chipped" key for your car?

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Oct 25, 3:31 pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Some locksmiths, mostly in cities, have that capability. I'd
open the yellow pages, call several locksmiths in the city
(cities) near you.

But don't you need at least one active key to program it from?

Just a guess:

Hook the programmer up to the car's computer and download the code
required to program the key.

If the original key was required, then I doubt *anyone*, including the
dealer, would be able to duplicate the key.

Here's a related, and somewhat humorous, story.

I coach Girl's Softball. The team met in the high school parking lot
and we all boarded the bus. A few minutes down the road our short
stop's cell phone rang. Turns out Mom has one of those push-button-
start cars where all you have to do is have the key nearby, like in a
pocket, to start it. It also turns out that Mom had let the daughter
drive the car to the school with Mom in the passenger seat. Guess who
still had the keys in their pocket? The girl on the bus!

Mom was worried that the car was going to stall on the way home and
wanted us to come back. Even though it was still running, she assumed
that it wouldn't stay running without the key nearby. We weren't about
to turn around, so she took a chance and drove home (about a mile).
She made it home, moved her husband's car out of the driveway so she
didn't block it in and then shut her car down, leaving it sit until
late that night when we got back from our game.

I guess they'll stay running even if the key is moved away from the
vehicle.

That's an interesting test. I think I am going to hide the spare key
somewhere in the vehicle - just where might have to be decided by testing.
Might have to put it a metal box like a magnetic key holder. Thanks for the
information!

--
Bobby G.