Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rocking Chair

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 16:12:47 -0500, "Dr. Deb"
wrote:

I am trying to contact Popular Woodworking, but their ad server is slow as
molassas in January.

On page 48 of the October 2011 issue of Popular Woodworking, there is a
picture on a rocking chair. For some unexplained reason, I want to build
it. I realize I have two choices on the legs and back, steam or laminate.
Given the way the arm comes in, lamination might be the easier. Either way,
I am going to have to build some bending forms.

Ayup.

My question is, the back has bends in two planes, how do you make the form?
Bending in one plane is a snap, two 90 degrees to each other would not be
that hard either. However, two at once, when they are ofset about 30-40
degrees is a bit more than I am familiar with.

Any help greatly appreciated.

If you laminate, the form is simple. Build up several layers of MDF,
cut the ess curves in it, glue one half down on a board to keep it all
flat, and use the halves on either side to compress the plies into the
curve you want.

For steam, it might be easiest to use pegs to get your curve, or
perhaps a solid bottom half and a pair of removable pegs to get that
upper curve. Steam, insert the bottom half into the solid area,
bending as you go, then add the next limiter peg and do the last curve
the other direction, followed by the top peg to hold that curve. Was
tha clear enough?

Hmm, to keep from marring the piece, a curved head might be needed for
the top 2 pegs, maybe with a rubber insert to pad the compression
area.

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer