Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home[_3_] dennis@home[_3_] is offline

Default Good place to ask about XP memory problems

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 23:36:44 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Having written a tiny OS for the 68000 (see
http://www.clothears.org.uk) I can state that it's a much better
processor than the 8086 ever was. Just a shame that the 68008 wasn't
out in time for IBM to use in the original PC instead of the 8088.

AFAICS there wasn't much in it.
I wrote in 8086 assembler for the 8086 board I designed. It wasn't any
more difficult than assembler for the 68000.

Unless you wanted data areas 64kB, of course.

The 80186 board I designed was programmed using PL/M and used RMX86.

The 80186 was designed to be really easy, so perhaps you might have
managed that.

The 80186 was no easier than the 8086.
It was an 8086 with a few bits like a DMA controller on board.

The STREAMS drivers and other C code I wrote was horrible to do, C is
the worst language I have used.

It requires a competent programmer, you see.

Being competent means you can see how bad C is.
Just because it is a widely used language doesn't make it good.
just look at some of the silly constructs that were put in just to make it
easier to compile in a single pass compiler.