Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default OT How much IRA to take out?

On 10/25/2011 8:40 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

I forgot to mention I am 52/disabled so there is no penalty to take it
out. I called it an IRA. It is actually a Vanguard mutual fund.

Well, those two aren't exclusive; you could hold mutual fund shares in
an IRA.

If it is a traditional IRA, the income is taxed as ordinary income; if
it were a Roth IRA it would not be taxable, if it is _not_ an IRA at
all, then it would be either short- or long-term capital gains depending
on how long the sold shares have been held.

Anything approximating a real answer will depend on the actual answers.

I would recommend (again) misc.taxes.moderated but figure out and
provide the correct information before posting the question.