Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default gluing glass to neoprene?

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 12:22:13 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On Oct 25, 1:27*am, micky wrote:
On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 20:04:23 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

micky wrote:
I need to glue glass to neoprene or maybe it is is some other black,
glossy, flexible, rubber-looking substance. * What glue etc. should I
buy?

Is it worth trying to rough up the glass? *If so, should I use
sandpaper, emery paper, etc?

I don't know yet if I can clamp the two things together.

My new-to-me 2000 Toyota Solara Convertible all of a sudden came
unglued at the top of the rear window. * The window is glass and shows
no sign of any adhesive having been used. * Maybe they used heat
alone?? *It's in the 60's here for a few more days, and I have a heat
gun if you think that will help.

The other piece would be under tension if I glued it just where it
was, but if I leave 1/2" not glued, it will reach.

Alternatively, I could maybe find some thick black plastic sheeting
and glue one end to the window and the other end to the neoprene.
Which is better?

Maybe I can put a couple pillows on top of the rear seat, and lay a
2x4 (or 1x6 which I would have to buy if you think it's worth it) on
top of the pillows, and gently lower the top so that the neoprene/
glass rests on the wood board, and then put weights on top of the
glass while it sets. * Good idea?

Every other convertible I've had had a vinyl "lower boot" under the
rear window, which safely collected the water. * I pioneered putting a
drain hose in the boot, when I r ealized leaks could not be avoided.
Years later, the '84 Lebaron came with drain hoses factory installed,
and the 88 and 95 had them also. * *Unfortunately, the lower well in
this car isn't vinyl but is that fuzzy-covered cardboard, and it won't
do well if it gets wet, plus it will leak into the areas below it. * I
think Toyota didn't plan ahead.

Thanks.
Hi,
Goop has a glue called stick anything to anything something like that.
Can be found at auto parts shop. I'd try that.

I'm wary about things that claim to glue anything,. but I will look
for it *anyhow.

Thanks and thanks to everyone.

Still open to other suggestions.

I just went through this with a Miata. Goop Automotive does NOT work.

Good to know.

I also tried GE Silicone II

I think I once tried that.

and Shoe Goo. No go.

I've used that on my shoes.

The stress on the window is pretty high, and they are pretty heavy
too.

I saw 3M VHB tape mentioned through Google searches, but it was only
recommended. I couldn't find one site were someone had actually tried
it. I didn't want to take a chance on a $75.00 roll of tape that I
would probably never use again

I know exactly how you feel, but I've got Chaniarts. I'll try to
post in about a year to let you all know how it works for me.

so I bit the bullet and had the top
replaced.

I found someone that does upholstery work out of their home (had to
close his shop because of the overhead) and got it replaced for
$750.00 cash. All of the other quotes were from $925.00 to $1,300.

I only asked one shop so far for a pirce and it was 650 for the rear
window/curtain, and 1710 for the whole thing. a 2000 Toyota Solara.
Maybe Baltimore is in the high rent district.

Where do you liive that even your high prices are so much cheaper?

Good luck.

Thanks.