Posted to alt.home.repair
BobR BobR is offline

Default OT Wall street occupation. (residential thermostats)

On Oct 25, 1:23*pm, harry wrote:
On Oct 25, 7:03*pm, BobR wrote:

On Oct 25, 9:10*am, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
After installing heating and AC systems for six years, I can
only remember seeing one thermostat per heating or cooling
device. Usually one for both heating, or cooling.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

On Oct 25, 2:02 am, harry wrote:

I mean that each room needs a thermostat to work properly.
Even then
it needs to be carefully sited. A single thermostat per
house will
never be much good.- Hide quoted text -

You know about as much about houses as you do politics
and economics. *I have lived in many houses where one
thermostat
worked perfectly fine. *I'll bet lots of others here have
had
similar experiences. *In fact, the standard here for the
majority of homes is one thermostat per heating SYSTEM.
That's what's done in most new construction as well.

In most instances one thermostat is enough. *In my previous residence
there were two, one for the upstairs system and one for the
downstairs. *Each controlled a different central heating/cooling
unit. *The system was well balanced and the result was much lower
heating and cooling bills. *We added the second unit when we added on
the second floor almost doubling the square footage. * During the day,
when 99% of the activity was down stairs the upstairs unit was set for
higher cooling temps while the downstairs was set for cooler. *At
night the reverse was set. *(We used cooling far more than heating so
in the winter time the reverse was used.) *Our heating and cooling
costs actually went down after doing the add on to the house. *More
efficient units, better insulation, and a well balanced system.

The only time I have ever seen thermostats in individual rooms was
when room units were used instead of central units.- Hide quoted text -

So, when you had two thermostats instead of one the heating bill went
down?
It therefor follows that a thermostat in each room will put your
heating bill down even more?- Hide quoted text -

Very poor logic on your part. The thermostat isn't what caused the
heating bill to go down. Having more thermostats than actual heating/
cooling units would be totally useless. The only reason for multiple
thermostats is to control multiple units and putting a unit in every
room would not necessarily mean lower cost, it could in fact increase
the costs depending on the effeciency of the units and usage.