Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeff Urban Jeff Urban is offline

Default A cordless phone question

I got a couple of Unidens that interchange just fine. They do it
digitally so once you stick one in the other base, the remaaining base
and handset will not work until plugged in once. When the charge light
comes on it flickers a bit after about a half a second, that is the
handshake I would assume.

Years ago a buddy of mine bought a couple of Vtechs that did the same
thing, but he had them connected to different phone lines. That has
it's own set of advantages but mine are still hooked to the same line.
I just switch them when a battery starts dying.

However when one dies there is a loud audio noise until one of the
handsets goes on the base that was in use. Then being reinitialized of
course it hangs up, so you have to take another phone off hook to make
the transistion.

They wil also work simultaneously, they sidestep each others'
channel.

They are getting old now, the battery life is not what it once was but
I like the phones themselves. There is also a problem if I use a
certain wireless camera because it's also only 2.4 Ghz.