Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Generator electric question

On Oct 25, 4:48*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
With one 120 VAC breaker open (at the generator), the well
should stop running, and the amp draw would go to zero. Much
like opening a switch.

The ganged breaker is for people / worker safety. So, when
one turns off the (double) breaker to the well pump, one
turns off ALL the power.

If one side was off, like your generator 120 vac (single)
breaker example. The well pump would stop. A worker might
think the power is off. But, winding, and wires would still
have power available, and would be a safety hazzard for
workers.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Zowie! twice in one day, I'm agreeing with Stormin. The dual ganged
breaker is there to ensure that if either side trips, that there is no
power in the box. That's for the purpose of protecting the
electrician, not the equipment.

I'd spend the money on a good GFCI (which has nothing to do with your
well pump, but I've seen plenty of generator installations that are an
electrocution waiting to happen).