Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Generator electric question

With one 120 VAC breaker open (at the generator), the well
should stop running, and the amp draw would go to zero. Much
like opening a switch.

The ganged breaker is for people / worker safety. So, when
one turns off the (double) breaker to the well pump, one
turns off ALL the power.

If one side was off, like your generator 120 vac (single)
breaker example. The well pump would stop. A worker might
think the power is off. But, winding, and wires would still
have power available, and would be a safety hazzard for
workers.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nok" wrote in message
A little off topic, but I know someone here will have the
answer. I have a
genset with a 220v recepticle which I wire into a transfer
switch. The only
circuit that actually uses 220 serves the well-pump. The
transfer switch
has a ganged 20amp breaker, which I wired to the well-pump
circuit. The
generator, however, has two 20amp pushbutton circuit
breakers, one for each
leg of 110. My question is: If one of the generator
breakers tripped, then
my well pump would be getting only one leg of 110. Would
the increased load
on the ganged breaker on the transfer switch cause it to
also trip, or
should I wire in a ganged breaker at the generator itself?
I certainly
don't want or have a way to test this...so I'm looking for
advice.
Thanks,
Nok