Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default OT - If Gaddafi had lived in Amercia, he would have belongedto the Tea Party.

On 10/25/2011 5:11 AM, wrote:

What I object to is Ed making fun of people. He does it in a mean
way. He uses ridicule instead of rational arguments. As one of the
other people in RCM said Ed is not someone that you would enjoy being
with.

Don't forget where you are, Dan. This is an unmoderated group of all
kinds of people and lots of them have no respect for anyone, and treat
people they disagree with like crap. The truth is Ed is one of the best
when it comes to how he comports himself. He's far from the bottom of
the list when it comes to what you are complaining about. Maybe you just
don't like it that Ed's pretty good at it when he does decide to be
derisive. At least you don't hear him just telling people, **** you,
asshole, or worse like you hear from the right wingers every day. I'd
say you're being a bit touchy this time.

As far as my position on global warming. it is that there is still a
lot of research going on. While the amount of CO2 ought to be causing
some warming, there is not agreement on how much is caused by CO2.
And there is not agreement on how much is caused by man and how much
is happening because of whatever has caused climate changes in the
past. I expect there will be a lot learned in the next ten years and
we should wait until the science is more exact before enacting laws
and regulations. And when we do enact regulations, we should look at
unentended results. Look at ethanol. There is considerable doubt as
to whether ethanol made from corn is useful in reducing the amount of
petroleum used for gasoline. But little doubt about the effects on
corn prices and the effect on food prices world wide. Now there are
lots of people with a vested interest in requiring the use of ethanol
in gasoline, but little that says it is a good thing.

Dan

I don't disagree with you on this point either. Climate change is still
a theory but there is a general consensus on it among the people who
know the most about it. It's the people with the least knowledge on the
subject who are most vehement in their disbelief of it. This is a red
flag to me. When the dumbest and least educated are all wound up about
something that tells me they're usually wrong.

It's also not a debate that the gas and oil industries have a vested
interest in promoting the idea that global warming is a hoax. Just like
the tobacco companies did for years when they said tobacco was not
addictive. So climate science is very complex and complicated. The oil
industry is trying to obscure the facts. This makes it difficult for a
lot of people to know what to believe.

I just think it's better to be safe than sorry and at least take steps
to protect ourselves if we are wrecking our environment. There's also no
reason why we should not be moving in a new direction for energy where
it's all clean and harmless to our environment. We all know that in the
future we won't be using fossil fuels anymore. It's just a question of
when. The bad thing is that the right wing has taken to making this
topic a political one where all of them are on one side and everyone
else is on the other. It just causes trouble and we have enough of that
already.

Hawke