Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default "Nibs" and raised grain

On 10/25/2011 7:53 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 25 Oct 2011 11:27:59 GMT, wrote:

wrote in
eb.com:

And I never fail to use a tack cloth. (I make my own from old, 100%
cotton T-shirts)

I can't find the recipe for making tack cloth, or renewing it, anymore.
Could you be so kind as to post it here again, please?

Oops, I forgot to add that I don't use a tack rag. I wipe the piece
down with lacquer thinner to remove all my oily fingerprints and
anything else which has contaminated the wood prior to finish.
I strongly recommend this method. Mineral spirits can also be used.

To me, this works a helluva lot better than a tack rag, but I don't
like or use high-gloss finishes very often.

Agreed, I very seldom use a tack rag and it is not good to use one on
some finishes although I can't recall which and why.

Because I use gel varnishes 99% of the time a quick blow with my air
hose gets rid of the excess but I am typically standing in saw dust when
applying the finish and a fan is blowing. Care must be taken with the
fan blowing directly at me as it will cause the finish to dry too much
to wipe off the excess.