Charlie Self

Default Amperage for 5HP table saw?

DonkeyHody writes:

1. The NEC allows a 40 Amp breaker on #10 wire IF the wire is only
feeding an electric motor that is hard-wired, AND there are no other
loads on the circuit.

Are you sure about that one. All of the references I am aware of limit the

overcurrent device to 30A on a #10 wire.

See the disclaimer attached to my post. No, I'm not sure, because I
didn't look it up myself; but I'm satisfied those guys knew what they
were talking about. I'm comfortable with it. But then, I'm known for
taking risks and living on the ragged edge. I used to hang off
cliffs on ropes and ride motorcycles really fast. I don't have a
guard on my tablesaw blade. And I used PVC pipe for airline. Don't
do what I do. Do what makes YOU comfortable.

Comfort is not the point. If you run an undersized wire, you're risking
problems with the system that might become critical. If that system is part of
your house wiring, failure could be fatal. I very much doubt the NEC allows a
40 amp breaker on 10 gauge wire, though many odd things are possible. I don't
have even my old copies here to check, but your best source for a check will be
your local building inspection office. After all, they have to pass your
installation.

Another point: most electrical engineers of my acquaintance know very little
about NEC and building codes in general. They have no need to know, unless
their speciality is in some area of construction.

I've seen guys who can do a superb job of designing transport wiring systems
for production lines that I would let wire the last motorcycle I had...and that
was a bike without a headlight or taillight.

Charlie Self
"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in
America." William J. Clinton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html